You got me on my knees, Layla















I am a MESS after watching a video about Layla Grace tonight, www.laylagrace.org. I know so many have heard of this precious 2-year-old girl who lost her life today to cancer. The video included a song by Steven Curtis Chapman which said "we know this is not the end"(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcYRr1dk7wA). I can't wait for Layla's parents and sisters to see her again someday. The joy of that reunion will be unspeakable. Days will seem to wear on forever here on earth until that moment, but...in the span of time, it will be like a blink. Before you know it, we all won't be here anymore. I know that is morbid. These thoughts overwhelm me when I go to really old cemeteries. I took these pictures recently near the hill country. Like other old cemeteries, there were numerous tomb stones whose faces had worn off. No one knows who is buried there. Even if you knew the name, it is unlikely anyone living knows anything unique, personal or special about that person. No one now knows how much money that person had in his or her bank account, how big their house was, how respected they were, etc. These thoughts can make you bitter, pessimistic, hardened... For me, because of my faith in Christ, it is humbling. It is a wonderful reminder. It makes you realize that the here & now is not all there is to life. It makes me set my eyes on something, someone higher. It makes me grateful for Jesus Christ, salvation, light, love, people, laughter, my husband, my sons, my family, my friends... Contemplating the meaning of life, of course, is nothing new. In Ecclesiastes 3, Solomon had many words to say about wisdom, life, death...and a time for everything:

1 There is a time for everything,

and a season for every activity under heaven:
2 a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build, 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
6 a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
8 a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
9 What does the worker gain from his toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time.
At this moment, these thoughts are coming to me because of Layla Grace. Thank you, sweet, beautiful girl. I hope I can meet you someday, too.