The Wedding & The Preacher: A Funny Story



Last weekend, my brother-in-law got married, so now I have a new sister-in-law! His name is Richard and her name is Stephanie. It was a beautiful wedding from start to finish. They were both so thoughtful and gracious during the entire ordeal. I am really happy for them as they start the wedded life. (We are keeping our fingers crossed for nieces and nephews in the near future. Really crossed.)

The wedding facility was GORGEOUS. Oh, just let me show you what it looked like:


These pictures are from here.


Really gorgeous, right?

The wedding ceremony was beautiful, too. People were tearing up all over the place. My sons kept asking me the next day, “Why do people cry at weddings?” After my husband told them it was because they cost so much, he proceeded to tell them about love and how precious of a moment it is when the bride finally walks down the aisle. I was impressed. (I should note here that he did not use the word “precious”. Pretty sure he’s never used that word before.)

The only thing that wasn’t beautiful was my hair by the end of the night. It started out pretty, or at least I thought so. My mother-in-law thought my hair hadn’t been fixed yet when it was all done. I told her it was a “messy up do” and that I had seen it in magazines, for goodness sakes.

See?

But, by the end of the night, I looked like George Washington with brown hair. Basically, I looked like I had one of those early American gray wigs on, except it was dark brown. That “jump around, jump around, jump up, jump up and get down” song can do a number on your ‘do.

All around, it was a really fun and emotional weekend.

On the five hour drive back home, I had plenty of time to use up my data plan on my phone. This is something that I excel at every month. My husband can tell you. ("How have you already used 65% of our data plan and it started over just one day ago?") As I was scrolling through other people’s pictures from the weekend, I came across this story below on Facebook written by Stephanie’s uncle, Steve Cline. It reminded me of one of those stories you find in Reader’s Digest. I thought it was super funny. You look like the kind of people that would enjoy a story like this one, so I thought I would share it with you.

I have to tell on myself. Last year when my mother passed away, The preacher that officiated the service was a cousin of my sister-in-law, Nancy.He did a fine job! I wanted to pay him for his services. So I opened my wallet and pulled out a $50 dollar bill. I folded it in quarters and placed it in my right pants pocket to pull out later and hand to the preacher at the appropriate time. When the time came, I reached into my pocket, pulled out what I thought was a $50, and cupped it in my hand and shook the preachers hand and covertly slipped him the bill. He put in his pocket without looking. Well in my pocket was also a $1 dollar bill from an earlier purchase that I had forgotten about. Guess what? When I got to my sister’s house and changed clothes guess what I found in my pocket? A $50 dollar bill! It suddenly dawned on me what I had done. I had given the preacher a $1 for his services! I was so red face. What must he be thinking! How can I fix this? When I told my family what I had done, they all got a good laugh out of it. My sister-in-law and brother told me not to worry about and that he had been paid and was happy to do it.
Last night my beautiful niece, Stephanie, got married. Guess who was the preacher? That’s right! My sister-in-law’s cousin. I finally got to fix my problem.

Pretty funny story, right?
 
Here is the nice preacher that did the wedding below. He had just the right mix of seriousness and lightheartedness in his ceremony. It was perfect.


Do you have any funny wedding stories to share with us? You can share it via the Facebook app below or you can hop over to the Kelley’s Break Room Facebook page by clicking the box right here. We’d love to hear what you’ve got! Also, if you liked this post, please consider sharing it!