Loving Luby's...MEATLOAF & ROLLS


Hey weekend readers!  If you keep coming back for some Luby's recipes, I'll keep posting them.  Of course, the only one I know you are enjoying these recipes and want me to keep posting them, is if you comment.  For those that always tell me they don't know what to say, just write "I was here", for goodness sakes.  For those wondering why I have veered off from the silly stuff I normally talk about on this blog, just know this recipe bit started from silly stuff.  Click on the "Today We Salute You" tab in the navigation bar above and you will see the song I dedicated to the Luby's cafeteria workers.  The nice people at Luby's sent me the cookbook on the left and I am sharing the recipes with you all.  The last time we were together talking about food, I said that I would give one of these cookbooks, valued at $24.95, away to one of the commenters using random.org.  The winner is Laine!  I actually know Laine in real life.  Our 2-year-olds are in the same class at Mother's Day Out.  Laine is too legit to quit, let me tell you!  (Hey!  Hey!)  I know she will bust out these recipes like nobody's business (nobodies business?) and make Luby's proud!  Laine...I'll just bring the book to you on Tuesday.  Folks, I promise it was not rigged so that I could save on shipping and do a friend a favor.  You are all friends of mine!  Can I get an Amen?


No, I don't like meatloaf!!  Why do people
always ask me if I like meatloaf??  I have
no idea why...  Oh, by the way, tune in to
The Celebrity Apprentice on Sunday night
to see me, Meatloaf, do my thang!  "I would
do anything for love..." SORRY GUYS!  I
get sidetracked with my hit from so long ago.

Okay, I decided to post two more "staples", if you will, because we all can learn how to make a stand-by even better, right?  Also, these are both so, so, so good at Luby's...like everything.  I will get fancy next week with a shredded something or other or a "topped off with" something or else.  Today?  Meatloaf and rolls, people.  Meatloaf and rolls. 

MEAT LOAF
2 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
3/4 lb ground lean pork
3 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup onions, diced
3/4 cup celery, diced
1/2 cup green bell peppers, diced
2/3 cup tomato juice
1/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup saltine crumbs, crushed
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

8 servings

1 hour 10 minutes

1) Heat oven to 350ºF. 2) Lightly grease a large, shallow meatloaf pan, or a large shallow baking pan. 3) In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, mixing well. 4) Firmly shape the meat into a 7 x 3 1/2 x 3 1/2- inch loaf and place in the pan. 5) Cover loosely with foil. 6) Bake the meat loaf for 1 hour. 7)Remove foil and continue baking for 5 minutes.


*NOTE:For easy slicing, let the meat loaf stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.


Cloverleaf Rolls Recipe

1 ounce active dry yeast
1 1/3 cups warm water (110°F)
3 extra large eggs
1/4 cup butter or margarine, not spread or tub product,melted,plus
1 1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 cups all-purpose flour
vegetable oil
12 servings
2 hours 50 minutes 2 hrs 30 mins prep

1) In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. 2) Add eggs and butter. 3) Using dough hook of electric mixer, beat on medium speed until well blended. 4)Add sugar, dry milk, and salt; mix well. 5)Add flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing until dough begins to pull away from side of bowl. 6) Lightly grease top of dough with oil. 7) Cover loosely and let rise in warm place 1 hour or until doubled in size. 8)Lightly grease 12 medium muffin cups. 9)Punch dough down. 10) Divide dough evenly into 12 pieces. 11) Divide each piece into 3 balls and place in muffin cup. 12) Let rise in warm place 1 hour. 13) While dough is rising for the second time, preheat oven to 350°F Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.



Have a great weekend!!

***My friend Stephanie from Southern Momentum pointed out in the first comment below that I did not have any pictures and she likes pictures.  I like pictures.  Here's the deal...I was going to post the recipe for Spanish rice and/or Waldorf Salad, but my little dude (the 2 y/o I mentioned up there) messed with my camera and now the shutter won't go back into the camera.  I also can't get the menu to work so that I can get to the pictures I took of those recipes.  So, I went with meatloaf and rolls, which I did not make at home this week but which I DO love eat at Luby's from time and time.  Two-year-olds...and their mothers...or just me...***