Loving Luby's...Macaroni & Cheese
Before I get into the recipe sharing, I want to encourage you to enter my first ever giveaway! I would love to pass on this Luby's cookbook (valued at $24.95) to one of you. Personally, I love cookbooks, especially those with recipes for simple side dishes and desserts. If you have never eaten at a Luby's, just trust me when I say that you would LOVE it!
For a chance to win the cookbook, you can enter in the ways listed below. Think of these entries like raffle tickets. Make sure you leave me a separate comment for each entry. I am going to use random.org to select the winner and there has to be separate comments for each one. I will pick the winner and announce it NEXT Saturday, March 19th.
1 entry- Any comment will do! (For those who don't want to sign up for an account, you can submit a comment by clicking "anonymous" in the drop down menu. Just be sure to write your name in the comment box)
1 entry- Follow my blog via Google Friend Connect
1 entry- Follow me on Twitter at @KelleysBreakRm
1 entry- "Like" my blog on Facebook (you can follow that link or just click "Like" on the Facebook box in the right sidebar)
***If you already follow me via GFC, Twitter and/or Facebook, you can still leave separate comments telling me so for a chance to win the cookbook.***
Last week I posted a recipe for Southwest Chicken Breast. There were quite a few ingredients in the dish, but it was so very good and worth all the chopping! This week I thought I would include a simple side dish. I love receiving recipes for just basic stuff sometimes. Someone in my family almost always orders the macaroni & cheese (me! me! me!) when we go to Luby's. Here it is!
LUBY'S MACARONI & CHEESE
2 cups (8 ounces) dry elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 1/4 cups boiling water
3 cups (12 ounces) shredded AMERICAN cheese (found at the deli counter)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 350. Cook macaroni 1 to 2 minutes longer than package directions so pasta is soft but not mushy. Drain.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry milk, flour and until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Fold in macaroni, 1 more cup of cheese and salt.
4. Transfer to a lightly greased 11 x 7-inch casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake 25-30 minutes or until sauce in center of casserole is thick and creamy.
5. Remove foil and sprinkle remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese evenly over top. Return to oven until cheese melts.