I am NOT Napoleon Dynamite's Sister


(The Napoleon Dynamite reference in the title is due to the picture of me from 1984 in the middle of this post. Someone recently told me I looked like a female version of him in that picture. The funny thing is, that person didn't even know that I had Napoleon's dance moves back in 1984 and that I probably could've drawn a mean liger, too. Or that I had a friend named Deb.)

Busy Philipps. That's what this post is about. Read on...


Busy with her cutie, Birdie Leigh Silverstein.
Source

We are taking a slightly different turn here in the Break Room today to focus on how Rue La La and Busy Philipps, the 32-year-old actress (and godmother of Matilda Rose Ledger!) that plays Laurie Keller on ABC's Cougar Town with Courtney Cox, are teaming up to benefit the Step Up Women's Network, a group that "empowers high school girls in underserved communities to reach their full potential through dynamic after-school and Saturday enrichment programming".  The point is to help urban high school students living at or below the federal poverty level that often face difficult family situations like violence, abuse, addiction, unemployment and illness become "confident, college-bound, and career-ready."

Sounds like a great organization, right?
Source

So, here's the deal: Rue La La, a website that features daily private sale Boutiques that only stay open for a short time showcasing sought-after brands like 7 for All Mankind, Marc Jacobs, Badgley Mischka and Elizabeth & James for a much-reduced price, will be featuring a "curated Boutique" with hand-picked items from Busy Phillips today at 11:00 a.m. EST as a part of their new "Doing a Little Good" initiative.  In turn, Rue La La is supporting the Step Up Women's Network, the organization that Busy Philipps has chosen to support.  Some of the items in the Boutique will be for adults, but many of the items will be from the "Little Rue" side of Rue La La and will be for children.  Busy's special boutique will only be open for TWO DAYS.

Earlier this week, I got a sneak peek of some of the items that Busy Philipps has picked out for the boutique from brands such as Tibi, Tutu Couture, Alex toys and Twirls & Twigs, which are meant to inspire us to "live out loud".  What does living out loud look like, though?  Maybe it means embracing and enjoying life with confidence, loving others, encouraging people, helping whenever/wherever we can and NOT making fashion choices like I did back in 1984:



Do not do a double take.  I am NOT Napoleon Dynamite's sister and
those ARE ducks on my baby blue sweater vest.

(Okay.  We both like baby blue. Maybe we're distant cousins?)
Source


The clothes Busy selected were fun, vibrant, carefree and CUTE!  Looking at them all  made me want a little girl! As badly as I want to buy this "Beetlejuice" dress below for my sons (especially because it's called "Beetlejuice"!) I have to restrain myself.  (Little boys typically don't like to wear dresses.) I would have an easier time controlling my shopping urge if that lilac color wasn't so soothing AND the dark purple, striped fabric at the bottom wasn't so whimsical AND the combination of polka dots and ruffles wasn't so fun AND the capped sleeves over a long cotton sleeve wasn't so clever.  Maybe I could pull some strings and get them to make one in my size??






While looking through the sweet dresses Busy Philipps has chosen, I got lost on-line looking at adorable bows, ballet slippers, Mary Janes, headbands, since I don't have anything at home I could pair this with right now.  Pretty sure baseball cleats would distract from the beauty of this little purple number.  Sigh I absolutely adore my sons, of course.  It's just that girls have so many pretty, frilly, adorable, cute and precious...everything.  Just today, I put my youngest in a Back to the Future t-shirt and my oldest in a lizard t-shirt from the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (and pants, for goodness sakes!).  Both really had no clue what they were wearing and didn't really care, although my oldest is a little fixated on trying to put a football jersey over his t-shirt every. single. day. RIGHT before we head out the door.  My point?  The options aren't vast when it comes to dressing boys.  But, girls?  The options go on and on and on and on and on and on...

That's why it is awesome that Busy Philipps has narrowed down the choices and hand-picked some super cute outfits for little girls.  Her Boutique will also have items for women and kids, in general.  So, while keeping in mind that this is a sales event meant to benefit underprivileged teen girls and that everything she picked is awesome, I hope you will spend some time over at Rue La La today! (Click here and look for Busy's Boutique.)


**This was a compensated post, but all opinions are my own.**